The green tea cake is a creamy and light sponge cake. Along with, flavored with matcha powder. Also, call as green tea powder. The green tea cake is a delicious Japanese cake for you that is delicate as air and smooth as air.
The green tea cake makes with matcha powder. Matcha powder is a bright green powder that prepares in Japan for you from freshly ground green tea leave. Green tea powder helps you in making green tea cakes. Also, it is providing you with a beautiful green color and a little earthy flavor to this sponge cake. Also, it has a flavor similar to green tea but with stronger, bright grassy elements.
In case you cannot find it in powder form, you can also use green tea in tea bags. Simply infuse it in boiling water and allow it cool to room temperature before using it. Instead of the water recommended in the recipe. As well as you can also color your green tea cake with a drop or two drops of green food coloring.
What Actually is Matcha?
The matcha is a bright green powder and makes with finely ground Camelia Sinensis green tea leaves. Also, it is a very essential powder of green tea that prepare from dry tea leaves.
Matcha powder is available in two grades: ceremonial grade and culinary grade. The ceremonial grade helps you with tea, whereas the culinary grade helps you with cooking and baking.
However, both grades are used for this recipe. Also, I suggest you use the ceremonial grade for a more noticeable deep green color in this green sponge cake.
Serving Per Recipe: 8
- Total Fat 2g 3%
- Saturated Fat 1g 3%
- Cholesterol 70mg 23%
- Sodium 88mg 4%
- Total Carbohydrate 30g 11%
- Dietary Fiber 0g 1%
- Total Sugars 21g
- Protein 4g
- Vitamin C 1mg 5%
- Calcium 47mg 4%
- Iron 1mg 6%
- Potassium 40mg 1%
Green tea cake that is soft and spongy, flavorful, and not overly sweet. This dish will be well appreciable by your family and friends when you make it. Whenever you prepare green tea cake, you will get the bonus of filling the entire kitchen with the delicious fragrance of green tea. This recipe can also be divided into 12 cupcakes.
First Step: Preheat the oven to 350°F (175 degrees C).
Second Step: Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until the volume doubles or triples, about 7 minutes. Then add sugar, honey, flour, baking powder, green tea powder, and water to the eggs in the following order. After that, you are beating for 15 to 30 seconds before each addition. Fill a 9-inch cake pan with a mixture.
Third Step: Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted into the center.
Green Tea Cake Ingredients
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 6 egg, separated
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons sweetened green tea powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2-gallon green tea ice cream softened
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 tablespoons green tea powder, for dusting
How to Make Green Tea Cake
- First of all, preheat your oven to 350oF. Set aside an 8×12-inch baking tray.
- Follow all these steps to make the green tea chiffon cake.
- After that, you beat the egg whites to make strong peaks. Then, you beat the egg yolks, sugar, salt, vanilla, honey, and water until it’s pale yellow, creamy, and fluffy.
- Then you slowly pour in the cake flour, tea powder, and baking powder into the egg yolk mixture. After that, you add the vegetable oil.
- Also, to improve the utilization of the oil you should combine a small amount of flour mixture with the oil before adding it.
- Mix the remaining half of the egg whites gently. You must have a bright green mixture that is thick and fluffy.
- There should be no visible tea powder or cake powder in the mixture at this point. Then you pour into two 6-inch cake pans prepared on the bottom and sides with baking paper.
- Bake for about 27 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick is inserted into the base. Along with that, it comes out clean and the base is golden brown with a raised center.
- Remove the parchment paper. Then you leave the green tea cake on a cooling rack to cool completely. After cooling the green tea cake then you start slicing it.
- When the cake has completely cooled, you can slice it into layers to make a layered matcha cake, or then you simply cut it into slices.
- The texture of the green tea cake should be incredibly soft, fluffy, as well as moist.
- Also, it is a wonderful cake for holidays like parties, easter, Eid, functions, and birthdays. As well as you serve it with your favorite cream cheese, vanilla ice cream, or buttercream along with berries.
- Then enjoy!
Tips for Green Tea Cake
- You should avoid beating egg whites which results will be in a rough cake with a lot of air bubbles. You want the tip of the peak to dip slightly when you remove your whisk. Egg whites that have been overbeaten will appear in the shape of rough and misshapen.
- Mix and blend the egg yolks on high speed. When you dropped from the whisk, it should be in the form of a ribbon trail that lasts three to four seconds.
- When you are adding the vegetable oil, start it with a small amount of the mixture. This helps you in the mixing of the oil without expanding the batter.
- Blend the green tea powder along with cake powder together. Once you tightly packed it, then green tea powder is difficult to break apart.
- When a toothpick placed into the center of the green tea cake comes out clean, it means the baking is done. Then you look for a golden-brown color with a rising center.
- Before slicing the green tea cake, firstly let it completely cool. This helps you for smooth, equal layers of green tea cake without breaking it.
- The best way for you to slice the layers of the green tea cake is to use a cake knife or any long, thin knife with a sharp edge.