Soup is basically a liquid cuisine that is typically served warm or hot (but can also be cool or cold). In order to make soup, you need to combine items like meat or vegetables with stock, milk, or water. Boiling solid materials in liquids until the flavors are extracted and a broth form is another characteristic of hot soups. Hot soup it is more flavorful than cold soup because the surface tension of the hot soup is lower than that of the cold soup and distributes across a broader region of the tongue. Although there may not always be an obvious distinction between soups and stews, soups often include more liquid (broth) than stews. There are the following examples of soup i.e. Chicken Tortilla Soup (Sopa Azteca), Chicken and Sweet Corn Soup, Easy Chicken Noodle Soup, Green Curry Lentil Soup, etc.
Importance of Soup
Soup is very important for your health and diet. Chinese antiquity is the earliest place where chicken soup was known to be utilized therapeutically. The Chinese medical literature Huangdi Neijing said that chicken soup is a “yang meal” (a warming dish) to which various medicinal herbs may be added to treat various maladies in the second century BC. Following are some health benefits of soup,
- It’s usual to drink less than you need to during the winter season. However, even if you are not warm and perspiring, you still lose fluid from normal everyday activities. Soups are an excellent method to remain hydrated and satisfied because they are primarily liquid.
- You can ward off the flu and colds by taking soups, and they also work as a fantastic remedy for illness. The majority of soups are packed with ingredients that combat sickness. According to research, chicken soup in particular can fight off the common cold, especially if you add lots of fresh celery, carrots, garlic, and onions to it.
- According to several research, persons who regularly eat soup consume fewer calories overall. These individuals weigh less than average.
- According to research, most soups have high-quality nutritional profiles with lower fat and higher protein and fiber intakes. That is due to the soup’s typical components, which include vegetables, lentils, a broth high in protein, and healthy fats.
- It can decrease hunger and boost feelings of fullness, according to research. The fact that your mind tells you that the food you see and consume will make you feel full may be one of the causes. Because of its high fiber content, soup has the potential to improve fullness and decrease appetite. Due to the increase in stomach capacity caused by the delayed gastric emptying caused by fiber, people tend to feel full for longer. Insufficient stomach space results from delaying food’s passage from the stomach and increasing the capacity of the stomach, which decreases appetite.
Tortilla soup also called Sopa Azteca, is a tomato (or chicken)-based soup with Mexican influences. It frequently includes extras like cilantro and jalapenos in addition to basics like maize and beans. After simmering, it is topped with crispy tortilla pieces and any additional ingredients you choose. The most popular ingredient in tortilla soup is chicken, although it may also be cooked with lamb, beef, and seafood. The taste of the soup is greatly enhanced by cooking the protein.
Tortilla soup is a calorie-rich dish that obtains most of its nourishment from lipids and carbs, especially saturated fats. There are so many versions of tortilla soup, including a version with chicken that contains fewer carbohydrates than the version without meat.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
The ideal quick evening meal is chicken tortilla soup. Chicken tortilla soup calories indicate that it contains a high amount of calories in it. This soup is a whole dinner in and of itself, loaded with shredded chicken, corn, beans, and handmade tortilla strips. It is reassuring, satisfying, and hearty.
Chicken tortilla soup is like a taco in soup form. Chunky vegetables, shredded chicken, beans, and sweet corn go nicely with the dish’s rich tomato and chicken broth.
How to Prepare Chicken Tortilla Soup (Sopa Azteca)?
It’s simple! The cooking time for chicken tortilla soup is only 30 minutes. To save time, first prepare your vegetables. While the soup is cooking, prepare the tortilla strips (or you can purchase Tortilla Strips online or at the grocery). The tortilla strips can also be prepared a few days ahead of time. They merely require a minute or so of pan frying on each side. When they’re crisp, season them with salt and store them.
- Until aromatic, saute the onion and jalapeno (remove the jalapeno seeds to make it less spicy)
- Add the remaining things and simmer it
- With a few forks, shred the chicken after removing it from the pan.
- Replacing the chicken
- Serve it with the selected toppings and tortilla strips.
Nutritional Facts – Chicken Tortilla Soup Calories
Following are the nutritional facts regarding chicken tortilla soup calories,
The sodium in the recipe relieves sore throat discomfort in a similar way as gargling with warm salt water does, and the heat helps remove nasal congestion as well as sinus pain and pressure. Soups are soothing, satisfying, and a terrific way to include lean meats and vegetables that are high in fiber. Additionally, evidence indicates that consuming more soup may aid with weight loss. Protein and necessary fatty acids are abundant in chicken broth. Both aid in the growth and repair of your body’s healthy muscle, bone, skin, and blood cells. Iron-rich minerals may be found in abundance in chicken broth.
Ingredients for Sopa Azteca
Following are the ingredients for preparing chicken tortilla soup,
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium olive, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 lb chicken breasts
- 20 oz crushed tomatoes
- chicken broth
- 14 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz corn, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped, divided
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, to serve
Steps For Preparation
The steps for the preparation of healthy Chicken Tortilla soup are as follow,
- Preheat a pan with 1/4 cup oil over medium-high heat. Cut tortillas into thin strips and fry them in batches in the hot oil until crisp. Remove from the pan and allow them to drain on a paper towel. Repeat with remaining tortilla strips, adding more oil as needed then set aside.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Preheat a pot with oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, and chopped jalapeño and saute until veggies soften.
- Add whole chicken, corn, beans, chili powder, cumin, crushed tomatoes, salt, ¼ cup of cilantro, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil and let simmer for at least 25 minutes.
- Remove chicken from the pot and shred it using 2 forks. Add shredded chicken back to the soup and simmer another 5 minutes then add lime juice.
- Serve the soup with some tortilla strips, pieces of avocado, fresh cilantro, and lime wedges.
Serving of tortilla Soup
Since tortilla soup is so adaptable, almost anything may be served along with it. Along with a side of cheese-filled quesadillas, a fresh corn salad or a bright, tart cabbage slaw would go well with the hearty taste of tortilla soup. Consider adding some avocado cubes, green chilies, shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled cotija cheese, or sliced black olives to your soup as a garnish.
Conclusion – Chicken Tortilla Soup Calories
Tortilla soup is a tomato (or chicken) based soup with Mexican influences. It frequently includes extras like cilantro and jalapenos in addition to basics like maize and beans. After simmering, it is topped with crispy tortilla pieces and any additional ingredients you choose. A fantastic source of nutritious calories that are also easily digestible is chicken soup. According to recent studies, chicken soup stimulates mucus flow and aids in the body’s ability to fight off the cold virus more effectively than other hot liquids.
This quick tortilla soup can keep airtight for 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator or for up to 6 months in the freezer. Extra tortilla strips will last up to 5 days in sealed containers at room temperature.
Scientifically, in addition to being tasty, soups promote the release of digestive fluids in the stomach, which helps the body properly digest the main course that follows.
Paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder are the greatest seasonings for chicken soup. Herbs like coriander, parsley, thyme, and bay leaf complement the salty flavor of the chicken. Rosemary, oregano, and marjoram are further options.