The scientific name of the blue Dragon fruit is Hylocereus Updates, however, it goes by many other names like pitaya, pitahaya, and strawberry pear. The two most common types of Blue dragon fruit have bright red skin with green scales on the skin that resemble a dragon – hence the name “Dragon Fruit”.
Blue dragon fruit Colours
Dragon fruit’s flesh can range from white (with pink, yellow, or also orange skin) to hot pink or deep purple with tiny black seeds. The color of the flesh determines the flavor. For example, whitish dragon fruits can have a mild taste, and darker flesh can be sweeter and juicier.
What does Blue dragon fruit taste like?
Once ripe, they taste ever so slightly sweet and syrupy. Many people describe the taste as a cross between a kiwi, a pear, and a watermelon. The flavor is very mild with a slightly earthy flavor.
Blue Dragon Fruit Health Benefits
Dragon fruit has many potential health benefits, including:
- It’s rich in antioxidants like flavonoids, phenolic acid, and betacyanin. These natural substances protect your cells from damage by free radicals — molecules that can lead to diseases like cancer and premature aging.
- Blue dragon fruit is naturally fat-free and high in fiber. It makes for a good snack because it can help keep you full for longer between meals.
- blue dragon fruit may help lower your blood sugar. Researchers say this might be partly because it replaces damaged cells in your pancreas that make insulin, the hormone that helps your body break down sugar. But the studies were done on mice, not people. It’s unclear just how much dragon fruit you’d have to eat to get these benefits.
- blue dragon fruit can strengthen your immune system. Dragon fruit is high in vitamin C and other antioxidants, which are good for your immune system.
- The vitamin C in dragon fruit helps your body take in and use iron.
Dragon Fruit Types
There are five kinds of Dragon fruit, and these can be subdivided to make different variations. Let’s discover these delicious, nutritious dragon fruit varieties. Many of these fruits are readily available at local grocery stores and farmer’s markets.
A detailed article on dragon fruits, How to Make an Affordable & Durable Dragon Fruit Trellis
Different Kinds Of Dragon Fruits
Sour Dragon Fruit
Sour blue dragon fruit is a refreshing fruit with a spicy and sour taste also. People in the northwestern Mexican region continue to harvest this fruit. They are also well-known for their name, “ziix is chapel,” which means “things whose fruits are sour.” The seeds are edible, and they have a robust nutty flavor.
White Dragon Fruit
They are also termed Hylocereus Undatus or Selenicereus Updates. These cultivars include Thompson, the largest and most popular dragon fruit, at up to 1.5 pounds. Harpua has a semi-sweet pulp that tastes almost like a grape. Neitzel, a Californian native, is sweeter and more delicious when chilled. Popular white dragon fruit includes L.A. Woman’s Seoul Kitchen, David Bowie, and Vietnamese Jaina.
Red Dragon Fruit
Also termed as Pitaya Roja, Hylocereus costaricensis. It is a Dragon fruit with red flesh and red skin. It is a sweet-type Dragon fruit with a texture comparable to a Kiwi. Furthermore, it can be eaten raw, but it can also be added to smoothies. The downside to eating red dragon fruits is that they can stain your hands. But combining them with solid fruit tastes like pineapple will make it more enjoyable. Red Dragon fruit cultivars include Costa Rican Sunset (Natura Mystic), Zamorano, and Red Jaina also.
Yellow Dragon Fruit
This dragon fruit variety has a yellow-skinned scaling pattern with firm white flesh and is native to South America. This dragon fruit is the tastiest, though it only has one variety.
Pink Dragon Fruit
These dragon fruits also belong to the red type, but their flesh is not the same. Pink dragon fruit has edible flesh that is soft to hot pink. This type of dragonfruit can adapt to different types of soil and climates. There are many pink dragon fruit varieties, including Delight, Cosmic Charlie (Delight), Voodoo Child (Voodoo Child), and also American Beauty, Hylocereus guatemalensis).
Varieties of Blue Dragon Fruit
There are many varieties of dragon fruits. The rubric Hylocereus includes three types of dragon fruits, while Selenicereus contains one. Each species is a blend of several mongrels. It’s much easier to classify dragon fruits by their skin color and also meat color.
- Hylocereus umlauts are pink-fleshed and white-fleshed. This is the most atomic sweet variety, and it may be marketed under names like Alice, Cosmic Charlie, or Harpua.
- Hylocereus polyrhizus has pink skin with red or pink meat. This variety is generally wider and further succulent than the other kinds.
- Hylocereus guatemalensis This is the third type of fruit in the rubric. It’s characterized by bright pink skin and grandiloquent meat. It’s native to Central America and South America, and it’s also grown and tended in Florida as American Beauty.
- Selenicereus megalanthus, the most minor, sweetest variety, has white meat and yellow skin. It is an uncommon variety that grows substantially in South America, and isn’t mass-produced and thus is hard to find.
Bruni Green Dragon fruit produces delicious, edible, and sweet fruits. Bruni Green is a tremendous self-pollinating variety, with high yields and small sizes, weighing in at 0.33 to 0.7 lbs.
Tyalgum Purple Dragon Fruit. This is a rare and exceptional variety of dragon fruit. The cream-colored flowers are as large as a teacup and produce fruit shaped like a cricket bat with a brownish peel.
There are two types of dragon fruit: royal Blue and emerald, and this is incorrect. There are many shades of dragon fruit flesh, including white, yellow, purple, and red, but no naturally occurring blue dragon fruit.
It’s a fact that red fruits and vegetables have higher antioxidants. Red dragon fruit is richer in antioxidants than its counterparts, making it an excellent choice for healthy eyes, blood, skin, and hair. You can also make wine from the red variety.
Dragon fruit is a high-antioxidant tropical fruit, and Dragon fruit is often associated with Southeast Asia. However, it was born in South America.
Blue dragon fruit contains prebiotics, which are foods that feed the healthy bacteria called probiotics in your gut. It can boost your iron levels. Iron is important for moving oxygen through your body and giving you energy, and dragon fruit has iron. And The vitamin C in dragon fruit helps your body take in and use iron.
If you like this article, you might be interested in the below articles too.
- Passion Fruit Tea – All You Need to Know
- How to Make Welch’s Passion Fruit Juice?
- What Do You Want To Now About Real Fruit Bubble Tea
- Amazing benefits of Gerber prune fruit juice