Chicken breast teriyaki is a delicious Japanese meal made of marinated and grilled or broiled chicken that has been coated with a sweet and savory sauce comprised of soy sauce, sake, mirin, and sugar.
It is a cut of chicken that is very popular for its lean meat and versatility in cooking. It is a boneless and skinless cut that comes from the breast of the chicken and it is typically sold in stores.
Chicken breast is an excellent source of protein, which is very important for building and repairing muscles, and for maintaining a healthy immune system. It is also a low-fat and low-calorie meat, making it a popular choice for those people who are looking to maintain a healthy diet.
Chicken breast can be cooked in a variety of ways, including grilling, baking, sauteing, and frying. It can also be seasoned with a variety of herbs and spices to add flavor. Therefore, it is very often used as a base for salads, sandwiches, and other dishes.
Chicken Breast Teriyaki
Chicken breast teriyaki is a very popular Japanese dish that is made by grilling or broiling chicken that has been marinated in a sweet and savory sauce made from soy sauce, sake, mirin, and sugar. The word “teriyaki” comes from the Japanese words “Teri,” which means luster, and “yaki,” which means grilled or broiled.
To make chicken breast teriyaki, boneless chicken breasts are typically used and marinated in the teriyaki sauce for at least 30 minutes to several hours to allow the flavors to infuse into the meat. The chicken is then cooked by grilling, broiling, or pan-frying. So, it is typically served with steamed rice and vegetables. The teriyaki sauce can also be used as a glaze for the chicken during the cooking process.
Chicken breast teriyaki is a delicious dish that can be cooked very easily that is enjoyed around the world. It is often served in Japanese restaurants, but can also be made at home by using simple ingredients and cooking methods.
To make chicken breast teriyaki, start by marinating chicken breast in a mixture of teriyaki sauce and other seasonings. Then, grill or pan-sear the chicken until it is fully cooked and the outside is caramelized and slightly charred. Serve it with a side of steamed rice and some vegetables for a complete meal.
Teriyaki sauce itself has a very long history in Japanese cuisine and it was originally used as a marinade and sauce for fish. It was not until the 17th century that teriyaki sauce began to be used with meat, including chicken. Chicken breast teriyaki has become very popular in Japan in the mid-20th century, and today it is a beloved dish both in Japan and around the world.
The popularity of Chicken Breast Teriyaki
Chicken breast teriyaki is a very popular dish both in Japan and around the world. The combination of sweet and savory flavors, tender grilled or broiled chicken, and delicious sauce make it popular among many people. Here are some reasons why chicken teriyaki is so popular,
Easy To Prepare
Chicken breast teriyaki is a simple dish to prepare, making it a popular choice for home cooks.
It is Versatile
Chicken breast teriyaki can be served in many different ways, from a simple bowl with rice to a sandwich or wrap. This versatility makes it a popular choice for lunch or dinner.
It is Delicious
The sweet and savory flavor of the teriyaki sauce combined with tender chicken is a delicious combination that appeals to many people.
It is Healthy
Chicken is a lean protein that contains low fat and calories, and the teriyaki sauce can also be made with honey.
Ingredients For Chicken Breast Teriyaki
The ingredients for preparing chicken breast teriyaki are as under,
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup sake
- 3/4 cup mirin
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- A 1-inch piece of ginger, grated fine
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast total
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
Steps For Preparation of Chicken Breast Teriyaki
- Mix the grated ginger, sugar, soy sauce, sake, and mirin in a pot and bring to a boil
- Add the chicken breasts, return to a simmer, then lower the heat to the lowest possible setting, on your smallest burner, and cover
- The purpose is to cook the chicken as early as possible, below a simmer. Cook it for 20 minutes.
- If you are using large pieces of chicken breasts, then you may need to cook them for a long time, or cut them in half before cooking
- While the chicken is poaching, you can toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan until they begin to brown
- Move to a small bowl and set aside
- Now remove the chicken breasts from the teriyaki sauce
- Set them aside on a plate, and wrap them in foil
- Bring the sauce back to a boil and then boil it vigorously until the sauce is reduced to syrup, about 8 to 10 minutes
- To serve, first slice the chicken breasts into small pieces, cover them with the teriyaki sauce and sprinkle sesame seeds on them.
- Serve them with plain white rice
You should marinate chicken breast for teriyaki for at least 30 minutes which can be up to several hours or even overnight. The longer you marinate the chicken, so the more flavor it will absorb from the teriyaki sauce.
Benefits Of Chicken Breast Teriyaki
Chicken breast teriyaki, when made with lean chicken breast and healthy ingredients, can offer a number of healthy benefits. Here are some potential health benefits of this dish,
High in Protein
Chicken is an excellent source of protein, which is very important for building and repairing muscles, and for maintaining a healthy immune system.
Low in Fat
Chicken breast is a lean cut of meat, which means it contains low fat and calories.
Contains Vitamins and Minerals
Chicken is a good source of a variety of vitamins and minerals, including niacin, vitamin B6, and selenium.
It can be Made with Healthy Ingredients
Teriyaki sauce can be made with healthier options like low-sugar sweeteners i.e. honey, reduced-sodium soy sauce, and fresh ginger and garlic.
Can be Served with Healthy Sides
Chicken teriyaki is often served with steamed vegetables and brown rice.
The health benefits of chicken breast teriyaki will depend on how it is prepared and which types of ingredients are used, so it is important to choose high-quality ingredients and use healthy cooking methods in order to maximize the nutritional value of the dish.
Storage of Chicken Breast Teriyaki
Proper storage condition is very important in order to maintain the quality and safety of chicken teriyaki. Here are some guidelines for storing chicken teriyaki,
- Any leftover chicken teriyaki should be stored in an airtight container and refrigerated as soon as possible. It is recommended to consume leftovers within 3-4 days
- Chicken teriyaki can be frozen for longer storage. To freeze it, place it in an airtight container or freezer bag and label it with the date. You can keep it in the freezer for up to 2-3 months
- When reheating chicken teriyaki, it is very important to make sure that it is heated to an internal temperature of 165°F (74°C) to ensure that any harmful bacteria are destroyed
- If chicken teriyaki has been left out at room temperature for more than two hours. It should be discarded in order to avoid the risk of foodborne illness
Chicken breast teriyaki can be a delicious and nutritious meal option for those people who are looking for a low-fat, high-protein dish. It is important to marinate the chicken for adding flavor and to keep it tender. So, always cook it properly to avoid dryness. Adding vegetables or serving them with rice can make it a complete and well-balanced meal. Overall, chicken breast teriyaki is versatile and very easy to make. This dish can be enjoyed on its own or as part of a larger meal.
Chicken breast teriyaki can be a healthy dish, especially when it is made with lean chicken breast and a sauce having healthier ingredients. Chicken is a very good source of protein, and the sauce can be made with low-sugar sweeteners, and soy sauce has less sodium.
The chicken should be marinated in the teriyaki sauce for at least 30 minutes to several hours to allow the flavors to infuse into the meat. Marinating it for longer periods can enhance the flavor. Be sure not to marinate it for more than 24 hours as this can cause the chicken to become mushy.
Yes, chicken thighs can be used in place of chicken breasts in teriyaki. Thighs have a higher fat content, which can make them more tender and flavorful, but they also have more calories and cholesterol than chicken breasts.