Are you a fan of healthy snacks on almonds? Have you ever tried to eat almonds in their shell, if so? Although shelled almonds are much more widely available.
Almonds in their shell offer special benefits as well as appeal of their own. We’ll look at the advantages, disadvantages, as well as interesting information about almonds in the shells in this article. Let’s start now!
How to Peel Almonds
After the nut is removed from the shell, the kernel is covered by skin. It is edible, although it has a slightly bitter taste when consumed, thus it is best to remove the husk.
The fruit uses to make sweets, the husk can detract from the look of the dish. Cakes just decorate with peeled kernels.
There are numerous methods for removing the husk. Everyone can select the option that is the easiest and most suitable for them.
Why Do Almonds Come in Shells?
Simply said, almonds in their hard outer shell are known as “almonds in the shell.” An almond’s shell serves as a barrier to protect the nut inside.
It has a slightly gritty feel and is often beige as well as brown in color. The edible almond kernel can find when you crack open the almond in its shell.
Why Eat Almonds in the Shell?
Almonds in their shells are preferable to shelled almonds for many reasons:
- Almonds that are still in their shells have a delightful crunch that shelled almonds do not have. For some people, the sensory experience of removing the shell to reveal the nut inside is delightful
- Freshness: Almonds in their shells may remain fresher than almonds that have been shelled because the shell shields the nut from moisture and oxygen
- Almonds’ skin includes flavonoids and other elements that may be beneficial to health. Consuming the skin together with the nut when eating almonds in their shells can be advantageous
How Are Almonds in the Shell Cracked Open?
Cracking open almonds in the shell can be a bit challenging, yet not particularly difficult once you get the feel of it. Here are some simple tips:
- Make use of a nutcracker: A nutcracker is a tool made especially for opening nuts. The majority of kitchen supply businesses carry these
- Use your hands to attempt and open the shell if you’re feeling bold. Apply pressure while holding the almond between your thumb and index finger until the shell splits open
How Are Almonds in Their Shell Stored?
It is critical to store almonds in their shells properly to maintain their freshness. Here are some suggestions:
- Away from direct sunshine as well as dampness, store the almonds in their shells in a cold, dry spot
- Employ an airtight container: Almonds should store in an airtight to prevent them from absorbing flavors as well as smells from other foods
- Almonds in the shell can freeze to increase their shelf life but if you’re not planning to use them straight away
How To Use Almonds in Shell in Cooking?
Many cooking methods can utilize almonds in their shells. Here are some suggestions:
- Put the almonds in their shells on a baking sheet as well as roast them for 10 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This will give them a lovely toasted flavor
- Use them as a garnish: Almonds in their shells can crush or mince and use in salads, soups, as well as other foods
- Making almond milk is as simple as soaking almonds in water overnight, mixing them with new water, and afterward filtering the resulting mixture
Pros of Almonds in Shell
- Almonds that are still in their shells have a delightful crunch while shelled almonds do not have any
- Freshness: The shells shield the nut from moisture and oxygen, possibly keeping almonds in their shells fresher for longer than almonds that shells
- Almonds’ skin includes flavonoids as well as other elements that may be beneficial to health. Consuming the skin together with the nut when eating almonds in their shells can be advantageous
Cons of Almonds in Shell
- Almonds in the shell need more work to eat than almonds in the shells. Before you can consume the nut within each shell, you must crack it open
- Eating almonds in their shells can be messy. You’ll find yourself with a tray of shells on your lap as well as a plate
- Almonds in the shells may be more difficult to locate than shelled almonds, particularly in regions where almonds still not farm
In conclusion, whereas eating almonds in the shell could require a bit more effort, this can be a satisfying and enjoyable experience.
Almonds in the shell are worth trying because of their delicious crunch, potential health advantages, as well as flexibility in the kitchen!
I have written one more article on it.
Almonds in their shells can bake to give them a lovely or toast flavor. Just spread out the almonds in their shells on a baking sheet as well as roast them at 350°F for 10-15 minutes.
Almond skin may be difficult for some people to digest. Stick to almonds that have been shelled if eating almonds in their shell causes you any digestive problems.