Benefits of Beans
The Benefits of Barley
The risk of developing diabetes, obesity, as well as heart disease may all reduce by eating more barley.
How to Increase Your Consumption of Beans and Barley
Beans and barley can add in a variety of ways to your meals. They can cook as a side dish, added to soups as well as stews, or combined with other vegetables to make a filling salad. They are wonderful additions to pasta meals as well as casseroles as well.
Beans and Barley Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Servings|
|10 Minutes||1 Hour||1 Hour 10 Minutes||4|
- 1 cup of barley
- 2 cups of water
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 minced cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 2 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- Salt as well as pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can (14.5 oz) of diced as well as undrained tomatoes
- 2 cans (15 oz each) of black beans, rinsed as well as drained
- The barley should be rinsed under running water before being put inside a pot with 2 cups of water
- When it comes to a boil, turn down the heat, cover, as well as simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the vegetables are soft
- Olive oil should be heated in a big skillet over medium heat whereas the barley is cooking
- Sauté the garlic and onion together for two to three minutes, till the onion is tender and transparent
- Salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, diced tomatoes (undrained), and black beans should all be added to the skillet
- After combining, let the mixture cook for 5-7 minutes, or till thoroughly cooked
- Bring the skillet to a boil after adding the veggie broth. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, till the liquid has somewhat reduced
- Stir together the cooked barley as well as frozen corn in the skillet. Let it cook for a further 3-5 minutes until the corn is thoroughly heated
- Stir inside the chopped cilantro after turning off the heat in the skillet. Serve beans and barley warm
Beans and Barley Servings
Depending on the size of the servings, this recipe makes about 4 to 6.
Beans and Barley Storage
For up to three to four days, beans as well as barley can be kept in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It can be heated up on the stovetop as well as in the microwave.
Beans and Barley Freezing
For a later date, beans as well as barley can be frozen. Once the mixture has reached room temperature, transfer it to a freezer bag as well as an airtight container.
For up to three to four months, it can be frozen. Just thaw the mixture overnight in the refrigerator, then reheat it over an open flame or using a microwave.
Beans and Barley Pros
Beans and barley is a hearty dish that is strong in fiber and protein which makes it a fantastic choice for individuals who are vegan or vegetarian.
Also, it is simple to personalize with your own spice and herb selection, as well as an excellent method for utilizing any leftover vegetables that have in the fridge.
Beans and Barley Cons
Beans and Barley may have a time-consuming preparation process, especially if you are preparing the barley by hand. This recipe might not be for everyone.
However, some people may not like the texture of barley. Finally, if you’re managing your sodium consumption, pay attention to how much salt is in the canned beans as well as vegetable broth you use in the dish.
Delicious and filling, beans and barley are just a dish that is simple to prepare as well as offers a lot of customization options. It can be prepared in advance as well as kept in the refrigerator or freezer for later use. It is ideal for those who are vegan or vegetarian.
All in all! these recipes are so easy to make. Everything I explain in my article. And don’t forget to give us a review in our comment section below. Thank you!
I have written more articles on it.
Sure! For more protein, if you’re not vegetarian or vegan, add some cooked chicken, ground beef, as well as turkey to the skillet. Before adding the additional ingredients, simply brown the beef in the skillet.
You can! Barley can be replaced with quinoa, which cooks more quickly. Simply follow the very same instructions you would for cooking barley to prepare the quinoa.