Good day! Are you looking for a delicious and wholesome vegan soup recipe? If so, vegan barley soup is a great choice! Your body will appreciate the abundance of nutrients it contains, which include a ton of vitamins and minerals in addition to fiber and protein.
Also, you can customize it to suit your tastes and build it quickly. We’ll lead you through making this delectable soup step by step in this article. Hence, don your apron, and let’s start cooking!
Easy Barley Vegan Soup Recipe
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Servings|
|10 Minutes||28 Minutes||38 Minutes||4|
Ingredients | Barley Vegan Soup
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 teaspoon of thyme
- handful fresh parsley
- 2 cups of cooked barley
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of brown miso, or 2 teaspoons of white miso
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste, or 1 large tomato, chopped
- red pepper flakes, optional, or cayenne or fresh chili pepper
Instructions | Barley Vegan Soup
- Take a big soup pot over low heat, and warm the oil
- Add the chopped celery, onion, and carrot
- Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on top
- At the very end, you can add extra seasoning
- 3 minutes should be enough time to make the onions transparent
- Garlic and tomato or tomato paste should be added. Cook for one more minute
- Miso and veggie broth are combined. Add the bay leaves, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, and fresh parsley
- Once the mixture has immediately come to a boil under cover, reduce the heat once more so that it simmers for 15 minutes
- Add the cooked barley and stir. When necessary, add extra water
- Cooking should continue for a further five minutes. When desired, taste and adjust the seasonings
- Take out any bay leaves and thyme stalks
- Serve after removing from heat
There are a few things to bear in mind when storing leftover barley vegan soup. Let the remaining vegan barley soup cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight container for storage. It can remain fresh for up to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 3 months in the freezer.
The soup is best divided into separate servings before freezing. The soup can defrost in the refrigerator overnight or on the stovetop or microwave. In a microwave or a pot over medium heat, reheat the soup.
Moreover, keto butternut squash soup is a delicious and substantial soup that is perfect for anyone following a ketogenic or low-carb diet.
Here are some ideas for serving:
- If you give the soup more taste and texture, garnish it with fresh herbs or croutons
- Serve the soup with crusty bread on the side to dip in and mop up the flavorful broth
- For a balanced lunch, serve the soup with a crisp salad
- Serving the soup with some roasted veggies will add taste and nutrition
- The soup makes a hearty and fulfilling supper when paired with a great sandwich or wrap
You can use barley vegan soup as the main part of a pleasant and filling meal if you follow these serving recommendations.
Benefits of Barley Vegan Soup
However, it has a lot of health advantages. Here are a few of the main advantages:
A Lot of Fiber:
Barley is a fantastic source of fiber, which promotes regular bowel movements and regulates digestion. Moreover, fiber can lower cholesterol and lower the risk of heart disease.
Contains Several Nutrients:
Iron, magnesium, and vitamins B and E are among the essential components that are abundant in barley. These vitamins and minerals build a strong immune system, increase energy, and support healthy skin and hair.
Reduces Blood Sugar:
Because of its low glycemic index, barley can aid in controlling blood sugar levels and preventing insulin surges.
Promotes Loss of Weight:
Barley’s high fiber content might make you feel fuller for longer, which can aid in your efforts to lose weight.
For individuals who consume only plant-based foods, barley vegan soup is a fantastic choice. Without using any animal products, it offers protein and other vital nutrients.
You can gain these advantages and more by eating vegan barley soup. It’s also tasty and simple to create!
Cooking Tips to Make Delicious Barley Vegan Soup
Use this cooking advice to prepare a tasty vegan barley soup:
- For more taste, use vegetable broth as a basis
- To enhance the flavors of veggies, sauté celery, onions, and garlic
- Barley can be toast for improved texture and nutty flavor
- For added taste, incorporate herbs and spices like paprika, cumin, oregano, and thyme
- To ensure the barley is properly cooked and the flavors are blended, simmer the soup over low heat
These suggestions will help you make a rich and appetizing vegan barley soup that is likely to please your palate.
Pros and Cons of a Barley Vegan Soup
Here are some pros and cons of a barley vegan soup:
- Readily available and reasonably priced in most supermarkets
- Due to the high fiber content of barley, it may be able to improve digestion and lower the risk of heart disease
- It can use in a wide range of recipes, such as pilafs, stews, salads, and soups
- Simple to cook and can do in several different ways, including boiling, steaming, or baking
- Rich in vitamins and minerals and is, therefore, a fantastic supplement for a vegan diet
- Barley includes gluten, which can be harmful to those who are gluten intolerant or suffer from celiac disease
- Barley can take longer than other grains to cook, which could be a disadvantage if you’re pressed for time
- Barley has a chewy texture, which some people might not preferably
- Barley has a nutty flavor that may not appeal to everyone
Because it is rich in fiber, vitamins, and minerals, vegan barley soup can be a nutritious dinner alternative. The nutritional value, however, can change based on the particular recipe and products utilized.
It can be frozen for later use. Before transferring the soup to airtight containers and storing it for up to three months, allow it to cool fully.
Yes, a slow cooker may be used to make vegan barley soup. To cook the veggies and barley until tender, simply place all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours.
Long story short, vegan barley soup is a tasty and nutritious lunch choice that is simple to prepare and can be tailored to your preferences. It is prepared using barley, vegetables, and vegetable broth, and a variety of herbs and spices may use to season it. You can eat the vegan barley soup by itself or with bread or crackers.
Also, you may prepare it in a slow cooker for a simple supper alternative or freeze it for later consumption. It is something you should try, whether you’re a vegan or you’re just seeking a great and wholesome soup.