Hi there! Do you enjoy thick soups that are warming and filling? The Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup recipe I offer for you will be a hit if it describes you. The traditional comfort food beef barley soup is filling, healthful, and ideal for a chilly day. Also, using an Instant Pot makes it exceedingly simple to prepare, saving you time and energy in the kitchen.
Think of chewy barley, fragrant vegetables, and tender bits of beef cooking together in a hearty, rich soup. Although, It’s the ideal meal for a fulfilling dinner after a long day at work or to warm you up on a chilly day.
And the best part? Thanks to the Instant Pot, making this recipe is quite simple. You can quickly prepare a tasty and healthy soup with only a few easy steps.
Are you prepared to start cooking now? Let’s get started making this Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup!
Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup Recipe
Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
Ingredients | Instantpot Beef Barley Soup
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 2 pounds (1kg) beef stew meat
- ¾ cup (140g) pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 small potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 ounces (225g) mushrooms, quartered
- 1 (14.5oz) (411g) can have diced tomatoes
- 6 cups (1.4 liters) of low-sodium beef broth/stock
- 2 tablespoons of better-than-Bouillon beef base (or use 2-4 cubes)
Instructions | Instantpot Beef Barley Soup
- Set the sauté setting on the Instant Pot
- When heated, add the stew meat, olive oil, and salt & pepper to taste. After thoroughly searing the meat, remove it and set it aside
- Add the mushrooms and continue to cook until well-browned
- Onion, celery, and carrot should be added (a little additional oil may be necessary). If desired, add salt and pepper and simmer for about 5 minutes
- Stir the garlic for 30 seconds after adding it
- To avoid the burning issue, deglaze the pan’s bottom with a little beef stock while being careful to scrape out all the browned parts
- Add the remaining broth, the browned meat, the tomatoes, the barley, the potatoes, the beef base, the bay leaf, and the thyme
- Put the Instant Pot lid on top and lock it in place
- Cook for 15 minutes under high pressure with the vent set to sealing
- After 15 minutes, allow the Instant Pot to release its pressure naturally
- After that, turn the vent to remove any leftover pressure before removing the cover
Tips For Instant Pot Beef and Barley Soup
- However, if you’d like, you can also include potatoes, sweet potatoes, or mushrooms in the soup
- If you don’t have beef stew meat on hand, you can use other types of beef, including chuck roast or sirloin steak
- For more flavor, you may also add a can of diced tomatoes to the soup
- This soup can be frozen or refrigerated for later use and is excellent for dinner preparation
Moreover, the perfect mix of sweet and savory flavors is found in the creamy soup made with butternut squash and sweet potatoes.
The following are some ideas for serving instant pot beef and barley soup:
- Pour the soup into bowls and, for extra richness and taste, top with a dollop of sour cream or a sprinkling of shredded cheese
- For dipping and soaking up the broth, serve the soup with a slice of crusty bread or a dinner roll
- For a full supper, you may also serve the soup with a side salad or steamed vegetables. Enjoy!
And the best part? Any leftover soup can keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days in an airtight container. As an alternative, the soup can be frozen for up to three months. Just be sure to properly chill the soup before freezing it, then defrost it in the refrigerator for at least eight hours before heating it on the stove or in the microwave.
Benefits of Using an Instantpot to Cook Soup
Believe me! There are various advantages to using an Instant Pot to prepare soup, including:
More Rapid Cooking:
The pressure-cooking function of the Instant Pot can cut the time required to prepare soup from hours to just a few minutes.
However, pressure cooking preserves the nutrients in the components, making the soup healthier.
The Instant Pot allows for one-pot cooking, which simplifies cleanup because you can cook, sauté, and brown food in the same pot.
Your soup will always be cooked evenly in the Instant Pot thanks to its precise temperature control and cooking settings, which eliminate any guessing.
Variations of Instantpot Beef Barley Soup
Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup comes in a lot of different flavors! Here are some suggestions:
- For more nutrition and color, stir in some chopped kale or spinach to the soup
- If you prefer leaner meat, substitute chicken or turkey for the beef
- For a different texture and flavor, substitute other grains like quinoa or brown rice for barley
- By substituting vegetable broth for beef broth and including other vegetables like mushrooms and zucchini, the soup can be made vegetarian
- For increased protein and texture, you can also add some canned beans, like kidney or cannellini beans
Pros and Cons of Instantpot Beef Barley Soup
- Making food with an Instant Pot is quick and simple, saving time and effort
- wholesome and nutrient-dense, loaded with vegetables, protein, and whole grains
- versatile and adaptable, allowing you to change the components to your liking
- Excellent for meal preparation because it may be frozen or refrigerated for later use
- Depending on the amount of barley and meat used, some people could find the soup to be too thick or heavy
- If not cooked correctly, the beef stew meat may be tough, necessitating a longer cooking time or using other types of beef
- Depending on personal choice, the soup may need additional seasoning or spices to improve the flavor
All in all! Delicious and filling, this beef and barley soup from the Instant Pot is ideal for any day of the week. You can make a hearty bowl of soup that will warm you from the inside out with just a few basic ingredients and some time. Try it out to discover how simple it is to make!
I’m writing to you specifically, though. So, yes! Please respond as soon as possible. This blog will undoubtedly be very useful to you. I’m grateful.
An electric pressure cooker by the name of an Instant Pot has grown in popularity recently. It can use for many other types of cooking, such as sautéing, rice cooking, pressure cooking, and more.
Yes, you may substitute chicken, pork, or lamb for the beef in this soup. By the type and cut of meat you are using, adjust the cooking time.
With this recipe, quick-cooking barley might not hold up as well as ordinary barley, which takes longer to simmer and gives the soup a lovely texture. However, you might try cooking the barley quickly and change the cooking time accordingly.